Monday, August 19, 2013

School Started Today ...

School started today ...

We will now have routines! Right?

My pantry will no longer look empty from all day food binges. Until the kids come crawling back into the house from an exhausting day begging for food because they say they're being starved beyond humanity at school.

My house will remain cleaner because they will be here less. Yes, that is a dream! A fantasy really, let me live it just today.

This also marks the beginning of band practices and performances, volleyball games, soccer practices and games, research papers, staying up late studying for those tests, afternoon homework completions before the TV can be turned on or video games can be played; and making sure homework is completed before or after work schedules. 


This is also the first year that not everyone will be together for family dinners at night. That will be a huge adjustment for everyone. There is something every night of the week. I will be looking forward to those rare days when we're all home together.

I'm beginning to feel a little incomplete as a mom right now as I surf Facebook, Instagram and Twitter of all the first day back to school pictures. I didn't get a ONE! ZIP! NADA! NOTHING! Not sure they would have let me snap any pictures anyway, but I should have tried. Maybe they'll let me have copies of the selfies they take today? Doubt it!

Our morning began early, some were up before OUR alarm. Some getting ready, one fighting not to take a shower, packing and rechecking backpacks, searching for socks, shoes and clothing, and then begging for a home cooked breakfast. What a bowl of cereal that you ate ALL summer won't work for today?


The normalcy has begun!

Wait! What?

Normalcy, that's what I wanted right. I'm not so sure anymore. Give me a week and we'll see.

This morning they're somewhat excited yet fowled moods of going back to school turned to humor when they wanted food. Remember cereal just won't cut it for today. Bouncing on our bed, pulling covers off our bed to get us up, turning the light on so we will be blind in hopes that would get us up long enough to turn the light back off. Well it sorta worked.

David, the gracious daddy he is, got up and made them all bacon, eggs and English muffins for breakfast. Some to nervous to eat it all and some scarfing food down like they haven't eaten in days.

Our morning continued with jokes, horse play and fun and some realization that some of the fun will seize when that first school bell rings.

Me, I stayed in the bed because a huge part of me didn't want to deal with this day. I mean who wants to fight 4 campuses and all the drama that goes along with it? Besides, the morning routine usually belongs to David. I fell directly into that role this morning. Let him deal with it.

Shame on me! The house is quiet, and I want the noise back.

So as I take this day off, to be on call for whatever emergency they may need, I will clean, cook and make as many appointments as I can that will not conflict too much with our busy schedules. After all, being a mom of 4 kids (grades 4, 6, 9 and 11) takes lots of planning and organizing, might as well get after it!


I pray that they have a good day, and that their stress levels are low. I pray that other parents have peace about their child(ren) going to school today, whether it's their first time going to school of if you're a seasoned parent and we think we know what we're doing. School is good for them academically, socially and physically. 

I pray for all the students, that they like their teachers, find their classes, are able to get in their lockers, and that they don't miss lunch! With the districts new electronic policy I pray that our kids all return home today without their phones having been confiscated.

I pray for all the new and returning administration today, that today goes as smoothly as it can. I pray that the copier cooperates, that supply rooms have what they need to instruct and educate our children. I pray that you have patience with our children. Because we KNOW how they can be! I pray that all of us parents and guardians are understanding and aware of your dedication and hard work. I pray we are an encouragement and not a discouragement for you.

For those parents that pick your kiddos up after school, I'll see you on the streets this afternoon in that lovely traffic we call the SCHOOL ZONE!


No comments: